Tuesday, January 4, 2011

FlaxyRunescape

RuneScape is a medieval-based role-playing game, which fortunately is set up so that if you want to advance in the game, you have to read a lot through quests which also contain many riddles/puzzles.
I was about thirteen years old when I began playing RuneScape, and played it for about four years, on and off. I got the nickname Flax because in RuneScape, I used to always "pick" flax, make it into bow strings and sell them for RuneScape gold. And every time a friend would ask, what I was doing?" I'd usually respond back, "Oh, just picking flax". From then on a friend kept calling me Flaxy. I've kept the nickname with me because the name reminds me of my childhood.
Honestly, the strange thing was that in school (and still now), the vocabulary used in the game always came in handy, and teachers would always ask how I amazingly knew the vocabulary used in certain new books we read. I never answered the question from embarrassment. 
Then one day a friend came over while I was playing that game, and asked what the name of the game was called, and I said RuneScape (a landscape of magical rune essences) and he repeated, "Run Escape?" I'd never had that perspective of the name like that. I then realized that that was what I was doing all along, using the game as an escape from the real world. Runescape helped me in English class but disconnected me from my surroundings for a moment in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment